Tree Climbing Championship
Thanks to everyone who participated in the 2018 competition. Congrats to this year’s Masters’ Challenge winners, Mariah Lundstrum and Rob Juetten!
Climbers will compete in five preliminary events on Saturday to qualify as one of the top contestants to earn the right to advance to the championship round – the Masters’ Challenge. The preliminary events include Ascent Event, Belayed Speed Climb, Aerial Rescue, Work Climb and Throwline. Those who have accumulated the highest combined point totals for the five preliminary events advance to the Masters’ Challenge on Sunday.
The first place winners of the Masters’ Challenge for both the men’s and women’s divisions will each receive an ArborMaster® Climbing Prize Package and represent MSA at the 2018 ITCC, August 3-5, in Columbus, OH.
Second place will represent MSA at the 2018 NATCC, September 29-30, in Providence, RI.
- All climbers must attend the MANDATORY event walk through and gear inspection on Friday, May 18 at 3:00 PM. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Registration deadline is Friday, May 11. Climbers must register prior to the registration deadline. On-site registration will not be accepted.
- All climbers must be current members of MSA at the time of registration and competition. If you are not a current member, registration + membership pricing is available at checkout.
- Out-of-state climbers may participate in all preliminary events and are eligible to place in these events. Only in-state climbers (those who live, or primarily work in, Minnesota. Employer must be verified.) can advance to the Masters’ Challenge.
- If competing in the Masters’ Challenge, climbers must stay for the entirety of the Masters’ Challenge in order to win.
- If representing Minnesota at ITCC or NATCC, competitors must be current members of the ISA.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, May 18
8:00 am – 9:30 am – Head Judges and Technicians Meeting
9:30 am – 3:00 pm – Event set up with Judges/Technicians
3:00 pm – Competitor Check-in
3:30 pm – 6:00 pm – Safety Meeting, Event Walk Through, Gear Inspection (MANDATORY for all competitors – NO EXCEPTIONS!)
Saturday, May 19
7:00 am – Competitor/Volunteer Check-in
8:00 am – 4:00 pm – Preliminary Events
10:00 am – 2:00 pm – City of St. Paul Arbor Month Celebration
5:30 pm – Social and Awards Ceremony – The Repulic (map)
Sunday, May 20
7:30 am – Masters’ Challenge Judges, Techs, Volunteers Check-in
8:30 am – Masters’ Challenge Competitor Check-in
10:00 am – Masters’ Challenge Events (Alternates between competitors: Male, Female, Male, Female, etc.)